Helping develop affordable housing in inner-city London
St Clements Hospital has a colourful history. Built in 1848, the site has been used as a workhouse, an ‘institution for the long-term sick’ and then later as a psychiatric unit.
In 2005, the hospital closed and all services were transferred to a new facility at Mile End Hospital. Greater London Authority took possession of the site in 2011 and in 2014 it became London’s first Community Land Trust. This ushered in the non-profit development of affordable housing and commercial spaces. Total Protection Group were appointed to install all Resin Bound Gravel pathways on this new estate.
Over 400 square metres of 6mm Scandinavian Resin Bound Gravel were installed to a depth of 16-18mm over 3 non-consecutive days in 2014. The finished surfaces combine durability, with low-maintenance and a pleasing aesthetic.
Our clients were so happy with the completed pathways that they have since invited us back to carry out further surfacing jobs as the project continues to develop.